1200 solid organ transplants in a single calendar year, the first program in the world to cross the 900 barrier in transplantation, the busiest program of its kind in the world, over 775 Liver Transplants since the start of the program and more.
Department of Gastroenterology Achievements
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi successfully performs liver transplant on One-year-old child from Kenya.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai successfully performs Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart & liver transplant, joining a very small set of transplant centers in the world to have done this.
- Apollo’s Centre for Liver Disease and Transplantation has completed 500 Liver transplants in a short time span with a success rate of over 90 percent
- 345 liver transplantations done at Apollo Chennai’s Center for Liver Disease
- Apollo Hospitals saves the life of 3 individuals; achieves the feat of transplanting the liver of a single donor into two adult recipients; successfully performs an isolated intestinal transplantation and transplants the abdominal wall – the first ever case in South India, all from the organs of a single donor
- Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Kolkata launches India’s first Cellvizio System
- The Apollo Transplant Program remained the busiest program in the world in 2013, by performing 1456 transplants (390 liver, 1066 kidney) and Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, New Delhi, the busiest centre with 952 transplants (283 liver, 669 kidney).
- In the last 24 months, 690 liver transplants have been performed with a success rate of 90%.
More than 1850 liver transplants have been performed.
- Since the first successful liver transplant in India in 1998, the Apollo Transplant Program has performed 21000 kidney transplants & 5600 liver transplants in children and adults till date.
- By completing 1200 solid organ transplants in a single calendar year, the Transplant programme of the Apollo hospitals is the first program in the world to cross the 900 barrier in transplantation and in doing so also has become the busiest program of its kind in the world.
- Pediatric liver transplant at Apollo Delhi in 1998
- Liver-kidney transplant at Apollo Delhi in 1999
- Pediatric living related liver transplant in Apollo Delhi in 1999
- Liver transplant for HIV at Apollo Delhi in 2008
- Cadaver liver transplant in India
- Living liver transplant for Portal Biliopathy in 2009 at Apollo Delhi
- Liver transplant for Hepatitis B without using immunoglobulin’s in 2008 at Apollo Delhi