MBBS, DTCD, DNB
Dr. Shyam Krishnan joined as an Associate Consultant in 2018 at Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore. He graduated from Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, B.J Medical College, Pune. Dr. Krishnan received his post graduate education in Pulmonary Medicine from Govt. Medical College, Surat and Fortis Hospitals, Kolkata. His areas of expertise include Interventional Pulmonology, Severe Asthma, COPD and Interstitial Lung diseases. Additionally, he has been a co-investigator in several trials for treatment of ILD, Severe Asthma, COPD.
Dr. Shyam Krishnan has authored several scientific papers and has presented at national and International Conferences. He is a member of the Indian Chest Society, European Respiratory society and the Indian Medical Association.
- One-Year Rotatory Internship at Sassoon General Hospital, Pune, India
- Medical Officer, PHC- Loni, Pune
- Senior Registrar- Pulmonary Medicine, Fortis Hospital, Kolkata
- Presently working as Associate Consultant-Department of Pulmonology, Interventional Pulmonology, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore
- MBBS from B. J. Medical College, Pune, India
- Diploma in TB and Chest Diseases from Govt. Medical College, Surat
- Diplomate of National Board (Respiratory Diseases), Fortis Hospital, Kolkata
- European Diploma in Adult Respiratory Medicine (HERMES)
- Flexible Bronchoscopy
- Rigid bronchoscopy
- Airway stent placement
- Transbronchial Cryobiopsy
- Foreign Body removal
- Thermal Therapy: Argon Plasma Coagulation, Electrocautery Cryotherapy
- Convex probe EBUS guided Transbronchial needle aspiration
- Radial EBUS guided transbronchial biopsy
- Thoracic ultrasound and ultrasound-guided thoracentesis
- Chest tube placement
- Tunnelled pleural catheter placement
- Pleuroscopy and pleurodesis
- Whole lung lavage
- Percutaneous tracheostomy
- Extensive exposure to management of all types of infective diseases of lung, especially all types of tuberculosis. Experienced regarding recent modes of management of Multi Drug Resistant –Tuberculosis.
- Competent at minor medical interventional procedures like central lines, lumbar puncture, and abdominal paracentesis.
Publications and Presentations:
- Dhar R, Ghosh D, Krishnan S. Non-invasive Ventilation in hypoxemic respiratory failure. J Assoc Chest Physicians 2016;4:50-5
- Shyam Krishnan, Bhaskar Chaudhuri, Manasi Ghosh, Santu Samanta, Raja Dhar. Bugs of the new era: More questions than answers. European Respiratory Journal 2015 46: PA2639
- Shyam Krishnan, Tarang Kulkarni, Samim Khan, Raja Dhar. Refractory Severe Asthma- Is presence of aspergillus in BAL significant. European Respiratory Journal 2015 46: PA2663
- Kulkarni, Shyam Krishnan, Aloke Ghoshal, Raja Dhar. ΔFEF25-75 a surrogate marker for mild intermittent asthma: A poor man’s FeNO European Respiratory Journal 2016 48: PA4143
- Shyam Krishnan, Shubham Sharma, GS Bhattacharya, Raja Dhar. Efficacy of Iron Repletion without Erythropoiesis Stimulating Agent in Patients with Chemotherapy induced Anemia with Lung Cancer. European Respiratory Journal 2018 52: PA2823
- NAPCON 2017 Speaker – Topic – ‘Hand Hygiene ‘
- IAACON 2016 – Speaker – Topic- ‘Exercise induced Bronchoconstriction’
- NAPCON 2016 Oral Presentation on ‘Evaluating the Benefits of COPD care Bundle in reducing Exacerbation Rates’
- NAPCON 2015 – Oral presentation on ‘Acute exacerbation of Obstructive airways disease- Significance of Aspergillus in BAL’
- IAAACON 2014 – Oral Presentation on ‘Secondary Pulmonary Alveolar Proteinosis’
- European Respiratory Society, Milan, Italy 2017 – Poster presentation “Bundling” COPD Care.
- 3rd Multidisciplinary Lung Cancer Conference, Singapore, 2017 – Poster presentation “Neutrophil to Lymphocyte Ratio as a Prognostic Biomarker for Patients with Advanced Non-Small Cell Carcinoma of Lung Treated with Chemotherapy”
- European Respiratory Society congress 2015 – Poster Presentation “Bugs of the New Era- Elizabethkingia Meningoseptica”
- European Respiratory Society 2015 – Poster presentation “Acute exacerbation of Obstructive airways disease- Significance of Aspergillus in BAL’
- NAPCON 2015 – Poster Presentation “Granulomatosis with Polyangitis”
- Puzzling Cases in Pulmonary Medicine; Editor Dr Z. Udwadia Chapter – ‘All That Wheezes is Not Asthma’. Written by Shyam Krishnan, R. Dhar.
- Puzzling Cases in Pulmonary Medicine; Editor Dr Z. Udwadia Chapter – ‘Anomalous connections pointing to an unusual diagnosis- The obvious is not always right’. Written by Shyam Krishnan, R. Dhar.
- Respiratory Update (Vol-2); Editor Dr B. Hazarika. Chapter -Approach to Obstructive Airway Diseases. Written by Shyam Krishnan, R. Dhar.
- Clinical Methods in Respiratory Medicine; Editor Dr Jyotirmoy Pal, Chapter B1 – ‘Interpreting the Chest X-ray’ Written by AG Ghoshal, Shyam Krishnan
- Trained in Laboratory Techniques in Molecular Medicine & Biomedicine: Hands on experience with DNA extraction, PCR, Western and Southern Blotting, Hb and Immuno-electrophoresis, ELISA, Cloning, Tissue Culture and demonstrations of Microinjections and Microarray.
- Co-investigator PRAISE study- A phase 2 multicenter, double blind, placebo controlled trial for evaluating the safety and efficacy of FG-3019 in patients with IPF (Ongoing)
- Co-investigator – A randomized open label multicenter trial or evaluating the safety and tolerability of Glycopyrronium/Formoterol FDC 25/12 mcg twice daily in comparison with Glycopyrronium 50 mcg once daily in patients with Mod/Severe COPD
- CO-investigator – A phase 2 multicenter, randomized, double blind, placebo controlled trial for evaluating the safety and efficacy of oral Nintadanib for 52 weeks in patients with Systemic Sclerosis associated Interstitial Lung Disease (Ongoing)
- C Mohanty Award for Best Paper NAPCON
- First Prize, NAPCON 2016 – Best Paper on COPD
- First Prize, GIMACON 2014 Poster Presentation
- First Rank in M.B.B.S. Class Graduating
- Times of India Scholarship for Medical Students
- Member, Indian Red Cross, Jan 2005
- Member, Red Cross Tsunami Relief Team, Jan 2005
- Member, European Respiratory Society in 2015
- Member, Indian Chest Society in 2016