It is believed at Apollo Hospitals that the first step to cure is accurate diagnosis. Read more about the state-of-the-art diagnostic capabilities at the Institutes of Pulmonology...
Interventional Pulmonology is a new State-of the-art field within Pulmonary medicine that focuses on the use of advanced diagnostic and therapeutic techniques to treat patients with benign airway disorders, pleural diseases and lung cancer. These complex procedures include both diagnostic and advanced therapeutic interventions, and are at the cutting edge of both diagnostic and therapeutic bronchoscopy and thoracoscopy.We are a specialized center for Interventional Pulmonology, and one of the few centers in the country to provide skill, infrastructure and the experience to deal with these procedures.
There are very few institutions in the country, which can offer comprehensive services in Interventional Pulmonology
- Transbronchial needle aspiration and Biopsy.
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) guided transbronchial needle aspiration and biopsy.
- Transbronchial biopsy for diagnosis of diseases such as TB, sarcoidosis, and lung cancer.
- Rigid bronchoscopy.
- Thermal ablation in the airway: Electrocautery, argon photocoagulation.
- Airway Stent placement.
- Medical Thoracoscopy, diagnostic and therapeutic.
- Pleurodesis for recurrent effusions as in cancer and some benign disorders.
- Expert management of Broncho-pleural fistula using endoscopic techniques.
- Percutaneous tracheostomy: This involves tracheostomy at the bedside, in critically ill patients, avoiding surgical dissection, and is the preferred procedure for tracheostomy in intensive care units worldwide.
Our Partners in Chest Disease – The Department of Thoracic Surgery
We have special expertise in Thoracic surgery, with experienced personnel who can do complex chest surgeries using the latest endoscopic techniques, such as VATS (Video-assisted thoracic surgery). These include
- VATS decortication
- VATS lobectomy
- VATS bullectomy
- VATS sympathectomy for hyperhidrosis
- Tracheal surgery