MBBS, MD, DM, Fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center
Consultant Medical Oncology
Dr. Vishwanath S is a highly accomplished medical oncologist with a fellowship from the University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX, USA.He has an outstanding academic record with gold medals in DM, Medical Oncology (Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology) and MD, Internal Medicine (Kasturba Medical College).
He specializes in Lymphoma/ Multiple Myeloma, Leukemias and solid cancers (Breast, Gynaecological, Lung, Head and Neck, GI and Sarcomas).
He has published widely in journals with high impact factor and has over 40 international publications. He was won several prestigious awards including an Abstract Achievement Award from the American Society of Hematology (ASH).
Based on his achievements, the Apollo Hospitals Educational and Research Foundation (AHERF) bestowed on him the title of Professor in the Department of Medical Oncology in 2018.
He has a unique art of taking his understanding of the molecular nature of cancer to the bedside and giving a personalized cancer care to his patients.His compassion, empathy, holistic care and approachability to his patients makes him a sought after medical oncologist.
- Consultant Medical oncologist, Apollo Hospitals, Bangalore, India and Diplomate of National Board (DNB)Teacher, Apollo Hospitals and Education Research Foundation (AHERF)
- Has worked as Clinical Fellow in the Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, USA where he received training from global experts in Medical Oncology.
- Has trained in Medical Oncology at the premier centre, the Kidwai Institute of Oncology, Bangalore, India.
- He also worked as an Assistant Professor in the Department of Internal Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal, India
Honors and Awards:
- 2018 – Conferred Professorship by Apollo Hospitals Education and Research Foundation
- 2016 – ASH Abstract Achievement Award (Oral abstract at ASH 2016)
- 2016 – (ASCO Post): Combination Obinutuzumab Regimen Promising in Aggressive Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: Lead author
- 2016 – ASH Clinical News, Volume 2, Issue 8. R-EPOCH May Be a Viable Option for Patients with High-Risk DLBCL: Lead author.
- 2016 – Travel Grant, Pan Pacific Lymphoma Conference, Kauai July 18-21, 2016.
- 2015- Gold Medal DM Medical Oncology, Kidwai Memorial Institute of Oncology,Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bangalore, India.
- 2014- Consolation Prize: Outcomes in GCB vs. Non GCB DLBCL from a tertiary care center in South India: SAARC International Conference of SAARC Federation of Oncologists, 28-30 Nov 2014 University, Manipal, India
- 2008- Gold Medal, MD General Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal.
- 2006-Oral Presentation: Melioidosis, an emerging infectious disease – Association of Physicians of India, Karnataka Chapter, Bangalore, India2004-Neurology Quiz (2nd Place), NIMHANS, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
- American Society of Clinical Oncology: Member in training 1/2014-present
- American Society of Hematology: Associate Member 11/2015- present
- Indian Society of Medical and Pediatric Oncology: Member, 11/2013-present
- Multiple myeloma
- Head and neck cancer
- Breast cancer
- Lung Cancer
- GI Cancer
- Gynaecological cancers
Peer-Reviewed Original Research Articles
1. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Christopher Flowers and Swaminathan Iyer. Comparison of Access to Novel Drugs for Lymphoma and Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Between India and the United States JCO Global Oncology no. 6 (2020) 1124-1133. Published online July 21, 2020.
2. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Amir Issa, Raisa Pinto et al. Rosai Dorfman Disease: MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Clin Lymphoma Myel Leukemia. July 2019.
3. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Wai Chin Foo, Michelle Fanale, Jason Robert Westin. Deeper insights into Vanishing Bile Duct Syndrome in lymphoma: A Perplexing Entity http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.clml.2016.02.035
4. Sathyanarayanan V, Neelapu SS. Cancer immunotherapy: Strategies for personalization and combinatorial approaches.Mol Oncol. 2015 Dec;9(10):2043-53.
5. Sathyanarayanan V, Hagemeister F. Targeted therapies for Hodgkin lymphoma: results of recent trials. Rinsho Ketsueki 57(10):2049-2053, 2016. PMID: 27795513.
6. B.K. Govind, K.C. Lakshmaiah, D. Lokanatha, B.Suresh, C.S. Premalata, C.R. Rao, L.J.Abraham, K.N. Lokesh, L, K. Rajeev, V. Arroju, V. Sathyanarayanan. Primary Parotid Lymphoma from a regional cancer center in South India. The Gulf Journal of Oncology. Issue no. 20- Jan 2016.
7. Lakshmaiah K C, Rachan Shetty K S, Sathyanarayanan V, Lokanatha D, Abraham LJ, Babu K
8. G. Lenalidomide in relapsed refractory non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma: An Indian perspective. J Can Res Ther [Epub ahead of print] [cited 2015 Oct 13].
9. Babu K G, Lakshmaiah K C, Lokanatha D, Babu MS, Sathyanarayanan V, Suresh T M, Rao CR, Premalata C S, Abraham LJ, Lokesh K N, Sirsath NT. Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma of the thyroid: Seven cases with review of the literature from India. Onc Gas Hep Rep 2015; 4:81-4.
10. Lakshmaiah K. C., Lokesh K. N., Sathyanarayanan Vishwanath, Premalatha C. S., RaClementina Rama, Suresh T M, Babu K. Govind, Lokanatha D., Jacob Linu Abraham, Babu Suresh . Extranodal diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: Experience from a tertiary care oncology center in South India. Clinical Caner Investigation Journal. Year: 2014 | Volume: 3 | IssueNumber: 4 | Page: 276-280.
11. Lakshmaiah K C, Sathyanarayanan V, Babu K G, Lokanatha D, Lokesh K N, Babu M C, Rao CR, Premalatha C S, Suresh T M, Unnikrishnan V, Abraham LJ. Primary central nervous system lymphoma: An Indian Perspective. Clin Cancer Investig J 2014;3:514-20
12. Anil Kumar, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Umesh Das , Namratha, Lakshmi Devi, Lakshmaiah K.C. . FIP1L1 – PDGFRA positive Myeloproliferative neoplasm – A low burden disease with dramatic response to Imatinib- report of 5 cases from South India. Turkish Journal of Haematology. doi: 10.4274/Tjh.2013.0086 Pages 56 – 60. PMID: 24764730
13. K. N. Lokesh, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, K. C. Lakshmaiah, T. M. Suresh, K. Govinda Babu, D. Lokanatha. Breast lymphoma- report of six cases with review of literature. Indian Journal of surgical oncology. October 2013. 10.1007/s13193-013-0269-0. PMID: 24426760
14. K.N. Lokesh, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Lakshmaiah Kuntegowdanahalli C, Suresh TM, Lokanatha Dasappa, Govinda Babu Kanakasetty. Primary Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma of Testis: A Single centre experience and Review of literature. Urology Annals. 2014, Volume: Issue Number: 3 Page: 231-234. PMID: 25125896
15. KN Lokesh, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, KC Lakshmaiah, TM Suresh, D Lokanatha, Govinda Babu, Linu Abraham Jacob and Suresh Babu. Primary breast lymphoma in males—a report of two cases with a review of the literature. Ecancer 7 347 / DOI:10.3332/ecancer.2013.347. PMID: 24723970
16. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Nagesh Taterao Sirsath, Umesh Das, M Malathi, Suma Lakshmipathi Reddy, Kavitha S Srivatsa, Avinash Thumallapalli, L Appaji, BS Aruna Kumari.An unusual case of pulmonary granulocytic sarcoma treated with combined chemotherapy and radiation. Ecancermedicalscience. 2013; 7: 368. Published online 2013 October 29. doi:10.3332/ecancer.2013.368. PMID: 24187593
17. Sathyanarayanan V, Das U, Shankaranand B, Gupta S, Anvekar NJ, Lakshmaiah K. An unusual case of Waldenstrom’s macroglobulinemia presented with nasopharyngeal involvement. Ecancermedicalscience. 2013 Oct 16; 7:362. PMID: 24171046
18. Umesh Das, L Appaji, B S Aruna Kumari, Lakshmaiah Kc, M Padma, Kavitha S, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan. A Single Center Experience in 266 Patients of Infantile Malignancies. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 2013 December 5. PMID: 24308299
19. Sathyanarayanan V, Lokesh KN, Lakshmaiah KC, Govind Babu K, Lokanatha D, Suresh Babu MC, Rao CR, Chennagiri P. Anaplastic lymphoma kinase (ALK) positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) of breast in a patient without a breast implant.Ann Saudi Med. 2014 NovDec;34(6):551-4. PMID: 25971833
20. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Lokesh KN, Linu Jacob Abraham, Lakshmaiah KC. Gefitinib induced skin ulceration in metastatic adenocarcinoma lung. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol. 2014 Jan; 35(1):109-10. PMID: 25006299.
21. Umesh Das, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Nagesh Taterao Sirsath, G. Champaka, LakshmaiahKC. Malignant biphasic tumor of the uterus: A case report and review. The Chinese- German Journal of Clinical Oncology. May 2013, Volume 12, Issue 5, pp 249-251.
22. Nagesh Sirsath, Lakshmiah KC, Lokesh KN, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Govind Babu. HIV associated lymphoma- a neglected domain. N Am J Med Sci. 2013 July; 5(7): 432–437. doi: 10.4103/1947-2714.115772. PMID: 24020054
23. Saravu K, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Shastry BA, Vandana KE. Candidal renal papillary necrosis conquered. Assoc Physicians India. 2013 Aug; 61(8):573-4. PMID: 24818347
24. Kavitha Saravu, Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Ananth Pai, Ashok Sebastian Komaranchath, et al. Successful treatment of right-sided native valve methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis and septicaemia with teicoplanin and rifampicin: A case report. Scandinavian Journal of Infectious Diseases. March 2012; doi:10.3109/00365548.2012.657233
25. Kavitha Saravu, Chiranjay Mukhopadhyay, Vandana Kalwaje Eshwara, Barkur Ananthakrishna Shastry Kundapura Ramamoorthy, Sushma Krishna, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan. Melioidosis presenting with mediastinal lymphadenopathy masquerading as malignancy:a case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 2012, 6:28. PMID: 22269609
26. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Charudutt Sambhaji, Kavitha Saravu, Abdul Razak, Ashwin Polnaya, Rao SN. A rare case of hepatic cysticercosis. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. September 2011.
27. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Abdul Razak, Kavitha Saravu, Shastry Barkur Ananthakrishna, Mukhyprana Prabhu M, Vandana KE. Clinical profile of brucellosis from a tertiary care center in southern India. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2011 May; 4(5): 397-400. PMID: 21771684
28. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Abdul Razak, M Mukhyprana Prabhu, Kavitha Saravu, Ganesh Pai C, Anuradha K Rao. A case report of herpetic and candidal esophagitis in an immunocompetent adult. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine. 2011 Jun; 1(3): 251-2
29. Ragini Bekur, K.E. Vandana, K.N. Shivashankar, Rohit V, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan. Paratyphoid fever– Emerging problem in South India. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2010 Oct; 3(10): 815-17
30. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Ragini Bekur, Abdul Razak, Joydeep Chakraborty. Clinical profile of disseminated cryptococcal infection–a case series. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Medicine. 2010 Oct; 3(10): 818-20
31. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Razak A, Narayan G, Prabhu M, Ramachandran B, Ranjini K, Vidya M, Joshi K. Posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome in a patient with hepatitis B induced type 1 membranoproliferative glomerulonephritis. Clin Exp Nephrol. 2010 Dec;14(6):614- 8. Epub 2010 Aug 21. PMID: 20730470
32. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Ashwin P. Use of Non Invasive Imaging in Gastrointestinal Critical care. International Journal of Ultrasound & Applied Technologies in Perioperative Care. 2010 May-August 1(2):113-121
33. Saravu K, Mukhopadhyay C, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Valsalan R, Docherla M, Vandana KE, Shastry BA, Bairy I, Rao SP. Melioidosis in southern India: epidemiological and clinical profile. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health. 2010 Mar;41(2):401-9
34. Razak A, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Prabhu M, Sangar M, Balasubramanian R. Scrub typhus in Southern India: are we doing enough?.Trop Doct. 2010 Jul;40(3):149-51. PMID: 20555045
35. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Girish N, Mukhyaprana P, Madhusudan S, Balasubramanian R, Manna V, Goel S. Disseminated histoplasmosis in an AIDS patient: a rare case from southern India. Trop Doct. 2009 Oct;39(4):247-8. PMID: 19762585
36. Saravu K, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Kumar RS, Barkur AS, Varghese GK, Mukhyopadhyay C, Bairy I. Melioidosis-a case series from south India. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2008Dec;102 Suppl 1:S18-20.
37. Saravu K, Mukhyopadhyay C, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan et al. Melioidosis in India: is it the tip of the iceberg? In: William C, Sheldon B, editors. Internationl Journal of Infectious Diseases. Preceedings of the 13th International Congress on Infectious Diseases; 2008 Jun 19- 22; Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Oxford: Elsevier; 2008. P. e224-e225.
38. Abdul Razak, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, M Mukhyaprana Prabhu. Syringomyelia masquerading as cellulitis of right upper extremity. Calicut Medical Journal 2010; 8(4):e5 .
39. Sathyanarayanan V, Razak A, Prabhu MM, Saravu K, Ganesh PC, Rao AK. A case report of herpetic and candidal esophagitis in an immunocompetent adult. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2011 Jun; 1(3):251-2. PMID: 23569769
1. Kristin S, Sathyanarayanan et al. Analyzing Patient Characteristics Who Received (DA) EPOCH- R for High Risk Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma: MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Abstract at ASH 2016, Dec 3-6, San Diego, USA
2. Sathyanarayanan et al. High risk DLBCL: A comparison of aggressive sub types treated with DA EPOCH R: MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience, Oral Abstract at ASH 2016, Dec 3-6, San Diego, USA
3. Sathyanarayanan V, Issa AK, Ahmed MA, et al. DA-EPOCH-R for high risk diffuse large Bcell lymphoma (DLBCL): The University of Texas MD Anderson Experience. Abstract #88556. Presented at the 2016 ASH Meeting on Lymphoma Biology, June 20, 2016; Colorado Springs,CO.
4. Sathyanarayanan V, Fayad L, Nastoupil LJ, et al: Phase I/II study of lenalidomide and obinutuzumab with CHOP for diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. 2016 Pan Pacific Lymphoma Conference. Poster. Presented July 18, 2016.
5. Amir Issa, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Michelle A. Fanale, Yasuhiro Oki, Fredrick B. Hagemeister, Sattva Swarup Neelapu, Loretta J. Nastoupil, Nathan Hale Fowler, Francesco Turturro, Mansoor Noorani, Mohamed Amin Ahmed, Richard Eric Davis, Maria Alma Rodriguez, Michael Wang, Lei Feng, Ken H Young, Timothy McDonnell, Chelsea Camille Pinnix, Luis Fayad, Jason R. Westin. Outcomes of diffuse large b-cell lymphoma with MYC and/or BCL2 protein expression treated with intensive chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr 7563)
6. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Dai Chihara, Michelle A. Fanale, Colleen M Costelloe, Elham Ghonimi, Chan Shen, Francisco Vega, Bouthaina Shbib Dabaja, Yasuhiro Oki, Shouhao Zhou, Chuang Hubert. Prognostic value of PET-CT in early stage Hodgkin Lymphoma (HL) using updated 5 point scoring system. J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr e19013)
7. Jason R. Westin, Yasuhiro Oki, Luis Fayad, Loretta J. Nastoupil, Francesco Turturro, Frederick B. Hagemeister, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Ken H Young, Timothy McDonnell, Hubert Chuang, Shouhao Zhou, Sattva Swarup Neelapu, Richard Eric Davis. Rituximab, lenalidomide, and ibrutinib alone and combined with dose adjusted chemotherapy for patients with high risk diffuse large Bcell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 34, 2016 (suppl; abstr TPS7575)
8. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, K.C. Lakshmaiah, Kadabur Nagendrappa Lokesh, Clementina Rama Rao, Suresh TM, Kanaka Govind Babu, Premalata Chennagiri, Loknatha D, Linu Jacob Abraham, Suresh Babu. Ki 67 and Bcl 2 in DLBCL. ISMPOCON 2014 Dec 26-28, 2014, Kolkata, India.
9. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, K.C. Lakshmaiah, Kadabur Nagendrappa Lokesh, Clementina Rama Rao, Suresh TM, Kanaka Govind Babu, Premalata Chennagiri, Loknatha D, Linu Jacob Abraham, Suresh Babu. Outcomes in GCB vs. Non GCB DLBCL from a tertiary care center in
10. South India: SAARC International Conference of SAARC Federation of Oncologists, 28-30 Nov 2014, New Delhi, India.
11. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, K.C. Lakshmaiah, Kadabur Nagendrappa Lokesh, Clementina Rama Rao, Suresh TM, Kanaka Govind Babu, Premalata Chennagiri, Loknatha D, Linu Jacob Abraham, Suresh Babu. Mantle cell lymphoma (MCL): A single-center experience from a tertiary care institute in south India. J Clin Oncol 32, 2014 (suppl; abstr e19547).
12. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Lakshmaiah KC, Lokanatha D, Govind Babu K, Suresh TM,Linu Abraham Jacob, Suresh Babu M.C. An Unusual Case Of Paclitaxel Induced Reversible Cardiac Dysfunction. Presented at ICON 2014, Bhopal, India.
13. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Lokesh KN, Lakshmaiah KC, Vineetha Unnikrishnan, Clementina Rama Rao, Suresh TM, Govinda Babu K, Lokanatha D, Linu Jacob Abraham, Suresh Babu. Primary Central Nervous System Lymphoma – a single centre experience from south India. Poster presented at 1st Indian Cancer Congress, New Delhi, India ( Nov 21-24, 2013). Published in abstract form in Indian Journal of Cancer Vol 50, Sup 1, Nov 2013.
14. Saravu K, Ramamoorthy, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan et al. Melioidosis: Yet to get recognized in India. Paper presented at: VIth World Melioidosis Congress 2010, Nov 30- Dec 3, 2010; Townsville, Australia.
15. Saravu K, Mukhopadhyay C, Vandana KE, VishwanathSathyanarayanan et al. Melioidosis masquerading malignancy. Paper presented at: VIth World Melioidosis Congress 2010, Nov 30- Dec 3, 2010; Townsville, Australia.
16. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Abdul Razak, Kavitha Saravu. Brucella: A great imitator. Paper presented at: 59th Annual meeting of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Nov 3-7, 2010 Atlanta, USA.
17. Kavitha S, Mukhopadhyay C, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan et al. Melioidosis in India: Is it the tip of the iceberg? Paper presented at: 13th International Conference of Infectious Diseases, Jun 19- 22, 2008; Kuala Lampur, Malyasia.
18. Kavitha S, Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan et al. Melioidosis: A case series from South India. Paper presented at: 5th World Melioidosis Congress; 2007 Nov 21-23, 2007; Khon Kaen, Thailand.
19. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Saravu K. Hyperglycemia and short term prognosis in stroke. Paper presented at: Annual courses in clinical neurosciences; 2007 Feb 16-17; Chennai, India.
20. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan. Hepatorenal syndrome. Paper presented at Indian Society of Nephrology Southern Chapter; 2007 Feb; Hyderabad, India.
21. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Rao SN. A rare case report of combined hepatic cysticercosis and neurotuberculosis in an immunocompetent adult. Paper presented at: Association of Physicians of India, Karnataka Chapter; 2006 May; Bangalore, India.
22. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Saravu K. Melioidosis, an emerging infectious disease. Paper presented at: Association of Physicians of India, Karnataka Chapter; 2006 May; Bangalore, India
23. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan, Balasubramanian R. A rare case of combined herpetic and candidial esophagitis in an immunocompetent adult. Paper presented at:Association of Physicians of India, Karnataka Chapter; 2006 May; Bangalore, India
24. Vishwanath Sathyanarayanan. Prevention of Chronic Kidney Disease. Paper presented At: Indian Society of Nephrology Southern Chapter; 2006 Feb; Trivandrum, India
Chairperson/Organizer of conference/CME:
CME on lymphomas: March 25, 2018, Bangalore, India. ISP program involving Dr. Fredrick Hagemeister, Professor in the department of Lymphoma, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Speaker in National/International Conferences:
1. ASH 2016, San Diego: oral presentation on DA-EPOCH R in DLBCL
2. Immuno-oncology- clinician’s perspective: National Immuno oncology master class, May 21-22, Bangalore, India