DNB (Surgery); PGDAE; MRCS (Glasgow, UK); FACRSI; | Fellowship in Breast Cancer Surgeries; Fellowship in Colorectal Cancer Surgeries; Fellowship In Robotic Surgeries
Consultant Colorectal Surgery, Coloproctology , Laparoscopic & Robotic Surgeries
Dr Shabnam Bashir, a Colorectal Cancer Surgeon with extensive and versatile surgical experience, is working as Consultant Colorectal Surgeries and organ specific Surgical Oncologist.
Education/Qualifications: She passed her MBBS from Government Medical College, Srinagar, did her PG Diploma in Accidents and Emergency Care and ACLS training (by American Heart Association) in the Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi followed by DNB-Surgery under the National Board of Examinations at the Fortis Escorts Hospital and Research Centre, Faridabad, and, meanwhile, also cleared her MRCS with Royal College of Surgeons of Glasgow,UK; and then did her 3 year Registrarship/Senior Residency in surgical and onco-surgical units of various teaching and non teaching, high volume, centres in Delhi/ NCR.
Special Trainings: Subsequently, after having worked as Attending Consultant Oncosurgery in Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon, she got hands-on-training as one year Fellow in Breast Cancer Surgeries under the expert guidance of Dr RA Badwe & Dr Vani Parmar, and then, hands-on-training as one year Fellow in Colorectal Cancer Surgeries, both at the country’s highest volume cancer centre, the Tata Memorial Hospital in Mumbai, where she was fortunate enough to work with Dr A Saklani.
She is well trained both in Laparoscopic as well as Robotic surgeries in India and USA.
She has attended various hands-on, skill-refining workshops and courses in various high volume laparoscopic surgery centres. She received training in Basic Laparoscopy as part of her postgraduate training, and got Advanced Laparoscopic training at various high volume centres. She also has had immense opportunity of receiving training in Robotic Surgeries and Cytoreductive Surgeries at the Tata Memorial Hospital, Mumbai.
Professionally, she consistently sought to upgrade her technical proficiency and specialized skills by participating in latest courses & fellowships, and aims to continuously keep herself updated with the latest technologies and developments in her fields of interest.
- In a career spanning over 12 years, mostly in high volume centres all across the country, Dr Shabnam has performed a large number of varied open & laparoscopic procedures. These included: A wide range of general surgical and onco-surgical procedures like simple and radical cholecystectomies, gastrectomies, cystogastrostomies, surgeries for achalasia cardia, appendectomies, intestinal resections with anastomoses, colonic surgeries for cancer and non-cancer lesions, fistula, fissure and haemorhoids, hernias, surgeries for perineal disorders and inguino-scrotal surgeries; hysterectomies, ovarian cystectomies, oophorectomies; emergency laparotomies for bleeding, perforations, abdominal trauma and gunshot injuries; splenectomies; diabetic foot surgeries with amputations etc. She has also performed head and neck surgeries including thyroidectomies, partial glossectomies, supraclavicular clearances etc. She was part of the surgical team to have started and undertaken maximum number of Single Inscision Surgeries during the initial phase in Delhi NCR under the expert guidance of Dr Prabal Roy.
- She has also done head and neck surgeries like, thyroidectomies, partial glossectomies, supraclavicular clearances.
- Experience in Colorectal & Breast Surgeries: The doctor has ample experience of performing all kinds of colorectal procedures including, but not limited to, anterior resections, low anterior resections, total colectomies with J pouches, intersphincteric resections, abdomino-perineal resections, pelvic exenterations and cytoreductive surgeries.
- She performs all kinds of breast surgeries including microdochectomies, large bilateral fibroadenoma excisions, Hadfield’s procedure, modified radical mastectomies, radical mastectomies, breast conservation surgeries and supraclavicular clearances, and other breast surgeries for benign as well malignant conditions.
- Professional Memberships: Dr Shabnam also holds to her credit the Membership of Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow and is a Fellow of the Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India. She is also a lifetime member of such esteemed associations as the Association of Surgeons of India, the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India, the Association of Colorectal Surgeons of India, and the Indian Medical Association.
- She has been a part of the teaching and training team for undergraduate medical students & the nursing & paramedical staff at various institutes.
- She has, to her credit, many papers and poster presentations in national conferences, with Best Poster Presentation Award in ACOS and ACRISICON.
- Extracurricular activities: Dr Shabnam has had dynamic extracurricular interests comprising academic, cultural and sports activities. She served as editor of the cultural magazine of her alma mater, wrote and directed plays, received training in self defense, and has been Kashmir’s badminton champion to represent the State in Nationals in the past.
- She has also worked with many non-governmental, nonprofit organizations and has been a part of various camps held for screening and awareness generation for breast and cervical cancer, and of training programmes like BLS & ACLS trainings.
- She feels that her only competition is her own self, hence continues striving everyday to be better than the previous day!
- Her confidence, humility and human touch, governed by morals and medical ethics, make Dr Shabnam what she is – a unique blend of a surgeon with a lion’s heart, eagle’s eyes and lady’s fingers.
- Having come from turmoil hit region, Dr Shabnam is connected closely to human miseries and sufferings, and uses her feelings to forge interpersonal skills that bind her to her patients and their families in more than one way.
- Her passionate interest has always been cancer surgeries, and keeping in view the severe shortage of and dire need for dedicated organ-specific cancer surgeons in India, Dr Shabnam decided to get trained in her specific fields of interest at the apex institute of cancer surgeries in the country. She realized that she could be more helpful to the suffering humanity by focusing on colorectal cancer surgeries, minimal access surgeries, and robotics. The fact that there was an awful dearth of female surgeons, particularly of dedicated breast and colorectal cancer surgeons, in our country inspired her to strive enthusiastically in this direction.
- Realizing the tremendous role of robotics in surgery, especially pelvic or narrow space surgeries in the coming future, she completed her robotic surgery training from the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, USA, under the expert guidance of the stalwart in robotic surgeries, Dr Khurshied Guru, and also the globally renowned colorectal cancer surgeon, Dr Steven Nurkin.
- She is one of the very few women surgeons trained in Robotic Colorectal Cancer surgeries & Cytoreductive surgeries in the entire country. She holds the credit of being the first dedicated Robotic Colorectal Cancer surgeon of Jammu & Kashmir and is amongst the few dedicated colorectal cancer surgeons trained in intersphincteric (ISR) and transanal resections in India.
- Her primary interest is Colorectal Cancer surgeries including hemicolectomies, total colectomies, proctocolectomies with pouches, sphincter saving procedures, pelvic exenterations, cytoreductive surgeries,& colorectal minimal invasive surgeries especially Robotics.
She has many publications in various indexed and peer-reviewed medical journals:.
Role of staging laparoscopy and diversion stoma in locally advanced CA rectum with impending obstruction and planned for neoadjuvant concomitant chemoradiotherapy (NACTRT): Author (s) :RS Bhamre, G Kundagulvar, S Jatal, S Bashir, Avnish Saklani – Journal Apollo Medicine, 2015 Vol 12, S21
Adenocarcinoma of rectum–A composite of 3 different subtypes with varying outcomes? : Author(s): S Bashir, KC Vallam, A Desouza, M Bal, R Engineer, P Patil, A Saklani– Journal Apollo Medicine, 2015; Vol 12, S24
Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding – A Review of the Literature: Current Surgical Management: Author(s): Bashir S , Roy P , Vol. 5, No.3 ( 208-07-2008-08) ; Indian Journal of Practising Doctor
Pancreatic Cancer – Diagnosis and Staging: Author(s): Shabnam Bashir and Neel Shah ; Indian Journal of Practising Doctors; Vol.3 No.4 ( 2006-08-2008-09)
Tranverse colon Perforation in Typhoid Fever: Author(s): Shabnm Bashir, Anushtup De, P Roy. Namit Kalra R Kaundal; Medwell Journals.com
Gastric Cancer Screening and the Role of Tumor Markers: Author(s): Shabnam Bashir, Sudip Raina Vol. 3, No. 6 (2007-01 – 2007-02); ISBN: 0973-516X
Review Article: Upper Gastrointestinal Bleeding – A Review of the Literature: Author(s): Bashir S, Roy P; Vol. 5, No. 2 (2008-05 – 2008-06)
Lung Cancer: Author(s): Shabnam Bashir; Indian Journal of Practising Doctors Vol. 2, No. 1 (2005-03 – 2005-04)
Rheumatic Heart Disease: Challenges and Opportunities: Author(s): Gaash B, Ahmad M, Bashir S; Indian Journal of Practising Doctors ; Vol. 4, No. 6 (2008-01 – 2008-02)
Trauma and Acute Surgery: Author(s): Shabnam Bashir*, Indian Journal of Practising Doctors Vol. 2, No. 3 (2005-07 – 2005-08)
Anaemia: Author: Shabnam Bashir; Indian Journal of Practising Doctors;Vol. 1, No. 2 (2004-09 – 2004-10)
Reproductive Tract Infection in Kargil: A Community-based Study: Author(s): Bashir Gaash, Rehana Kausar, Rohini Bhan, Shabnam Bashir, Muzaffar Ahmad; Vol. 1, No. 2 (2004-09 – 2004-10)
Immunization Status of Infants in a Remote District of Kashmir: Author(s): Bashir Gaash, Rohini Bhan, Shabnam Bashir;Vol. 1, No. 3 (2004-11 – 2004-12)
Eosinophils and Their Abnormalities: Author(s): Shabnam Bashir; Indian Journal of Practising Doctors Vol. 1, No. 1 (2004-09 – 2004-10)
SUMMERY: Dr Shabnam Bashir is Consultant in the Department of Colorectal Surgery/ Surgical oncology/Breast Surgery , for Karnataka Region at Apollo Institute of Colorectal Surgery.