MBBS, MS (AIIMS), Mch (AIIMS)
Senior Consultant and Head of the Department of Neurosurgery
+91 998 607 9797
Dr Arun L Naik was trained at the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi where he worked for 7 years before moving to his native Bangalore.
He is practising in the city for last 17 years. He established and started Neurosurgery departments at some of the well known centers in the city before joining Apollo Hospitals in 2013. He has the credit of starting Neuronavigation procedures for brain and spine diseases in 2001 at Bangalore for the first time in the country. He has special interest in brain and spine endoscopy, complex spine surgery, stereotactic surgery and pediatric neurosurgery. He has performed some of the very complex neurovascular surgeries like brain aneurysm clipping and Arteriovenous Malformations (AVMs) to his credit. He started spinal navigation guided fusion procedures for difficult spinal cases in the city. He has a vast experience in operating on previously failed spinal problems. Dr Naik routinely performs Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) procedures for various movement disorders. He has performed over 10,000 surgeries on brain, spine and nerves during his long career. He is a DNB teacher and has trained many DNB students. He is highly active in many local, national and international neurosurgical societies and attends regular professional conferences to keep his knowledge of ever expanding neurosciences up-to- date. He has successfully conducted many neurosurgery conferences and meetings for the benefit of peer group surgeons and practitioners. Dr Naik has published many articles and papers in various national and international journals.
- Re-do brain tumor surgery
- Framed and frameless stereotactic surgery
- CV Junction surgery
- Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery (MISS)
- Neurovascular surgery
- Endoscopic brain and spine procedures
- Movement Disorders procedures
- Functional Neurosurgery for pain and spasticity
- Arun L Naik, P Sarat Chandra, C S Bal, V S Mehta. Role of 99m Tc GHA SPECT in differentiating recurrent glioma and radiation necrosis. Neurol India. 1999: 47(Suppli. 1): 78.
- N. K. Venkataramana, Shailesh A. V. Rao, Arun L. Naik, Neeraj Awasthy, H. Gupta, Karamchand Sharma. Tale of the tail. J Pediatr Neurosci 2008. Vol 3: 145.
- PM Jagannath. N K Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao , Arun L Naik, S K Shivakumar, Anvesh Saktepar, Raghuram Gopalkrishnan, S K Shankar . Recurrent cerebral larva migrans: A case report and review of literature. J Pediatr Neurosci 2009 Vol 4/Issue :1 Pages : 36-40.
- N K Venkataramana, Shailesh A V Rao , Arun L Naik. Operative Nuances: Endoscopic 3rd Ventriculostomy. J.Pediatr Neurosci. 2009, Vol 4 Pages 109- 112.
- Satish Babu, MD, Venkataramana N K, Ravindra Bhmrao Kamble, Shailesh A V Rao, Arun Naik, Roshan V Shetty . Primary Hypothryroidism presenting as sellar mass which regressed with thyroid hormone therapy – A case report. Neuroradiology – Accepted for publication.
- Ravindra B Kamble, Neelam K Venkataramana, Arun L Naik, Shailesh V Rao, Diffusion tensor imaging in spinal cord, Indian Journal of Radiology and Imaging. Volume 21 Issue 3 August 2011,Pg 221-224.
- Halamani R Kusuma, Neelam K Venkataramana1, Shailash AV Rao’, Arun L Naik,Gangadhara DS, Keshavan H Venkatesh. Fulminant hepatic failure after repeated exposure to Isoflurane. Indian Journal of Anaesthesia | Vol 551 Issue J | May-Jun.
- N. K. Venkataramana, Rakhi Pal, Shailesh A. V. Rao, Arun L. Naik, Majahar Jan, Rahul Nair, C. C. Sanjeev, Ravindra B. Kamble, D. P. Murthy, and Krishna Chaitanya : Bilateral Transplantation of Allogenic Adult Human Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells into the Subventricular Zone of Parkinson’s Disease: A Pilot Clinical Study. Stem Cells International , Volume 2012, Article ID 931902, 12 pages , doi:10.1155/2012/931902.
- Cerebello Pontine Angle Lipoma in a child, Neelam Venkataramana , Shailesh A V Rao, Arun L Naik, Krishna Chaitanya, Paparajamurthy. Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences/Volume7/Jan-Apr/2012.
- Neelam K Venkataramana , Shailesh A V Rao, Arun L Naik, Kishore Shetty, Paparaja Murthy, Abhilash Bansal, Christos Panotopoulos : Innovative approach for prevention and treatment of post subarachnoid hemorrhage Vasospasm: A preliminary report. Asian Journal of Neurosurgery Vol.7, Issue 2, April –June 2012.
Presentations and Lectures
- ‘An evaluation of prognostic factors in thyroid cancers’ at the Annual Conference of Association of Surgeons of India held in Agra in 1994
- ‘Role of 99mTc GHA SPECT in differentiating between radionecrosis and recurrent gliomas’ at 46th Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 99) held at Hyderabad in December 1999
- ‘Role of Cardiac gated Cine MRI in the follow up of patients with Chiari type I malformations’ at 51st Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2002) held at Kochi in December 2002
- ‘Primary Ewing’s sarcoma of the skull: A case report and review of the literature’ at 51st Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2002) held at Kochi in December 2002
- ‘Cerebellar ganglioglioma: A case report and the review of the literature’ at 51st Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2002) held at Kochi in December 2002
- ‘Real Time Imaging in Neuronavigation’ at 52nd Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2003) held at Chandigarh in December 2003
- ‘Atypical Multiple Meningiomas in childhood’ at 52nd Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2003) held at Chandigarh in December 2003
- ‘Concept of Stereotactic Radiosurgery’ at the National workshop on Stereotactic Radiosurgery’ held at NIMHANS on 20.03.2004
- ‘Results in suprasellar meningiomas’ at the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies’ – Tumor section meet at Jaipur in October 2004.
- Who changed neurosurgery? 53nd Annual Conference of NSI, Indore, December 2004
- ‘Management of suprasellar meningiomas’ at the 54th Annual Conference of Neurological Society of India (Neurocon 2005) held at Visakhapatnam in December 2005
- Early indicators of survival in severe TBI. 14th Annual National Neurotrauma Conference, Kolkata, August 2005.
- Transoral resection for clival chordomas: Is it enough? 7th Annual conference of Skull Base Surgery Society of India. Kochi, October 2005
- Management of suprasellar meningiomas. 54th Annual Conference of NSI,Visakhapatnam, December 2005
- Plastic techniques in Myelomeningocele surgery. 16th Annual meeting of Indian Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery. New Delhi, November 2005.
- Value of transcranial doppler in moderate traumatic brain injury. 15th Annual Neurotrauma Meeting, New Delhi, August 2006.
- Does surgery change the outcome in patients with TBI GCS of 3 to 5? 15th Annual Neurotrauma Meeting, New Delhi, August 2006.
- Visual outcome in suprasellar meningioma. 55th Annual Conference of NSI, Madurai, December 2006
- Early experience in endoscopic pituitary tumor surgery. 56th Annual Conference of NSI, Agra 2007
- Minimal Invasive Spine Surgery: Outcome. 57th Annual Conference of NSI, Pune, December 2008
- Cervical artificial disc arthroplasty vs fusion: What to expect? 57th Annual Conference of NSI, Pune, December 2008
- Minimal invasive TLIF procedure with pedicle screw fixation: 58th Annual Conference of NSI, Lucknow, December 2009
- Early intervention in asymptomatic tethred cord syndrome. 60th Annual Conference of NSI, Bangalore, December 2011
- Presented number of clinical case presentations, topic discussions and others at New Delhi and Bangalore Neurological Society meetings
- World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies: Member
- Neurological Society of India: Full Member
- Skull Base Surgery Society of India: Member
- Indian Society of Pediatric Neurosurgery: Member
- Indian Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery: Member
- Bangalore Neurological Society: Member
- Indian Medical Association: Life Member
- Surgical Society of Bangalore: Life Member
- Association of Surgeons of India: Life Member