M.S (ENT), D.N.B (ORL), D.L.O., RCS (Eng), FRCS ED, FRCS (ORL-HNS) , PhD , Clinical Fellowship – Otology/Neurotology
Senior Consultant and Cochlear Implant Surgeon
+91 990 012 8981
Dr. Sunil Narayan Dutt is a world renowned Otolaryngologist with over two decades of experience in ENT. He was the first Coordinator and Head of the Department of ENT in Apollo Bangalore.
- Dr Dutt has trained and practiced ENT both in India and Abroad.
- His special interests include Implantation Otology, Middle Ear Surgery, Neurotology and Endoscopic Sinus Surgery.
- He is a Faculty Mentor for South Asia for Cochlear Implants, Bone Anchored Hearing Aids and Balloon Sinuplasty.
- He was the Founder and Founder-Secretary of the Cochlear Implant Group of India (CIGI) in 2003 and performed the first pediatric cochlear implant in Bangalore in 2003.
- He has to his credit of performing over 80 cochlear implants at the Apollo Deafness Center, Bangalore. He is perhaps one of few surgeons in the country to also receive a PhD. He was awarded a PhD for his dissertation on Patient Satisfaction and Quality of Life Outcomes with the Bone Anchored Hearing Aids – the Birmingham Experience (University of Nijmegen, Holland, 2002).
- Otology/Neurotology/Skull Base Surgery:Grommet insertion, Tympanoplasty, Cortical and Modified radical mastoidectomy, Bone Anchored Hearing Aid (BAHA) implantation, FAITEC, Stapedectomy, Labyrinthectomy, Endolymphatic sac decompression, Exposure of IAC for acoustic neuromas, Pinnaplasty, Conchomeatoplasty, Posterior canal occlusion, Facial nerve decompression, Cochlear implantation
- Rhinology:Antral washout, Turbinate surgery, Septoplasty/SMR, Polypectomy, Septorhinoplasty, Caldwell-Luc operation, Young’s operation, Reduction # nasal bones, FESS, External frontoethmoidectomy, ECA-IMA ligation, Extended FESS, Optic/orbital decompression, Cosmetic Rhinoplasty, Choanal atresia surgery, Balloon Sinuplasty (BSP)
- Laryngology: Adenotonsillectomy, Quinsy drainage, Uvulopalatopharyngoplasty (U3P), Laser Assisted Uvulo-Palatoplasty (LAUP) Direct/ Micro-Laryngoscopy, Oesophagoscopy, Bronchoscopy, Nasal endoscopy (rigid and flexible), Phonosurgery
- Head and Neck:Tracheostomy, Lymph node excision, Sistrunk operation, Hemithyroidectomy, Submandibular gland excision, Superficial parotidectomy, Radical neck dissection, Total laryngectomy, Branchial cyst excision, Branchial fistula excision, Parotidectomy, Angiofibroma excision
- Pediatric Otolaryngology:Adenotonsillectomy, Grommet insertions, Tympanoplasty, Mastoidectomy, CAT, BAHA stages 1 and 2, Cochlear implants, Limited septoplasty, Nasal polypectomy, MUA nasal fractures, Tracheostomy, Bronchoscopy, Microlaryngoscopy, Laser assisted procedures, Ary-epiglottoplasty
- Cochlear Implantation
- Bone Anchored Hearing Aid Implantation(BAHA)
- Endoscopic FESS Surgery
- Balloon Sinoplasty
- Snoring & Sleep apnea management
- Dr Dutt’s MS dissertation was on Postmeningitic deafness in children: Evaluation and localization of the site of pathology by Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA) at Mumbai University (2004).
- He has over 55 publications in peer reviewed journals, both national and international. He has also authored four text book chapters notably
- Dutt SN, Irving RM. Melkersson Rosenthal Syndrome. In, the NORD Guide to Rare Diseases, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, New York, 2001
- Pahor AL, Dutt SN, El-Shenawy M. Tropical ENT Surgery. In, Textbook of Tropical Surgery. Editors: R Kamel and J. Lumley.Westminster Publishing Ltd, London. 2004.
- Irving RM, Dutt SN. Middle Fossa Surgery. In, Scott-Brown’s Otolaryngology. Skull Base Surgery, 7th Edn, Ed: Gleeson M, Butterworths International, 2009
- Dutt SN, Kameswaran M. Atrophic Rhinitis and its management. In, ENT Disorders in a Tropical Environment. 3rd Ed, Eds: Kameswaran S, Kameswaran M, Sethu Screens, India (in press).
- He has been the recipient of many awards.
- Dr Dutt is a member of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India (AOI) (Life Member), Midland Institute of Otology (MIO), Birmingham, UK, British Medical Association (BMA), London, UK, British Association of Paediatric Otolaryngologists (BAPO), London, UK, British Association of Otolaryngologists (BAO-HNS), London, UK, the Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK, the Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology, India (Founder Member), Global Academy of Tropical Surgery, Cairo, Egypt (Founder-member), Toronto Neurotology Fellowship Group, Canada, Indian Medical Association (Life Member).
- He is an Assistant Editor of Otology-Neurotology, USA, the Internet Journal of Otolaryngology, and Otolaryngology Clinics – An International Journal.
- He is on the Review Board for Indian Journal of Otolaryngology-Head Neck Surgery, Postgraduate Journal of Medicine, and Neurology India. He also served as Assistant Editor of Journal of Laryngology and Otology, UK.
- Dr Dutt serves on several Charitable Trust Boards including the Society to Aid the Hearing Impaired, SAHI, Bangalore (Regd NGO, General Secretary), Vani Pradan Kendra, VPK (Regd NGO, Founder President) and the Parikrma Foundation, Bangalore, India.
- He has more than 60 presentations including lectures, free papers, panel round table discussions, plenary sessions, guest orations at various national and international forum. He has taught on several temporal bone workshops and Advanced Otology Meetings.